Having a variety of options to choose from is surely a big task for all of us. In the same way, choosing the best oolong tea amongst so many varieties could be overwhelming for a new tea drinker. So here in this article, we have jotted down some tips, which can help you select the right tea for yourself.
Firstly, let us understand what oolong tea is. Oolong tea is a product that is made from the leaves of the Camellia sinensis plant. This is the same plant through which other tea like green tea and black tea, but made and processed differently. Oolong is very helpful in improving mental alertness. It also helps to reduce obesity, and prevent diabetes and heart disease, to name a few benefits.
Every one of us is keen to know how much is Caffeine in Oolong Tea. Compare to coffee, oolong tea contains a lot less caffeine by nature – by the way tea is grown in general and the processing methods. Many oolong tea drinkers still drink tea at night when they drink high quality oolong tea. For new tea drinkers it is suggested to start off by drinking tea before 4pm. You must surely try the Yoshan Tea which has a variety of oolong tea with different flavors all together. Their most famous oolong is the Dong Ding oolong which is still keeping up its reputation.
The caffeine content in a tea always depends on various factors such as:
- Brewing temperature: It was found that boiling water can remove much of the caffeine as compared to others. The more water boiled at the highest temperature, the more caffeine is released.
- Steeping Numbers: As per the experiment it was found that the greater number of steeping done, the less will be the amount of caffeine present in it.
- Growing Conditions: The other factors that can affect the caffeine content in the leaves are the overall growing conditions, the position of the leaf on the plant, the climatic conditions, and the growing season. It is also true that the younger leaves will have more caffeine content than the matured ones.
- Roasting process: It is said that the roasting process helps relieve most of the caffeine from the leaves, which in turn sublimates. Thus, the more the leaves are roasted, the less caffeine present in them.
- Aging: This is one of the factors which makes some changes in the caffeine content. The more aging of the leaves the more this caffeine is released and transformed into a chemical compound, thus giving a pleasant and sweet flavor.
How to choose the best oolong tea?
- Make sure that the leaves of the oolong are dried well, stiff, and shiny
- The liquor made has a color of its own like amber/ gold/ pale in color.
- You need to make sure that there is a smoothness or evenness in the infusion made because oolong tea doesn’t have any sharpness or astringent in them.
Good oolong tea can be enjoyed at any time during the day. It produces wonderful smell, taste and is helpful for your health. If you are sensitive to caffeine it is suggested to drink before 4pm to start with until you get comfortable with the tea then you could drink at any time even before going to sleep.
30 E Duarte Road
Arcadia, CA 91006